This weekend I joined the Canadian queens of the blogging world at Blissdom 2012. It was a lot of fun to be near so many power houses and have the opportunity to pick their brains about how they make their brands work for them, how they drive traffic to their blogs and why they love what they do. It got me thinking about little old me and what I do and why i spill my guts out here. This is what I figured out:
1. I need to blog more. Three times a week. Emma Waverman says so and she’s really smart. I might want to be her when I grow up.
2. I need a new website, a big girl website with links to my articles, blog and links to other awesomeness. So, um watch this space. Or preferably my new space actually.
3. Never go out for dinner with your friend Molly the night before an important conference. Especially if your friend Molly is like my friend Molly and she makes you drink too much delicious red wine. Trust me, you will start harassing perfectly nice sisters/friends to go dancing with you and the next morning WILL come too soon. And it will hurt. A lot.
4. I’m doing this because I love it. I’m writing this because I know there are other people out there who are struggling to live happily ever after while the shame and guilt that come with post-partum depression and miscarriage loom in the background. I’m here to say we depressed types are kinda sorta normal-ish and it’s OK to be a little bit screwed up. I would argue that most of us are.
5. I need to read the news more. I know who Pussy Riot is, but I don’t read the paper because I find it makes me more depressed than I already am. So, having never seen a picture of them, I totally didn’t get the costume of the night at the blissdom costume party. Alas, I think it’s time to call the Globe and Mail and renew my subscription.
6. I know stuff. I’m always amazed when I’m chatting with a group of people and I sound like I know stuff about stuff. I guess I know I do — but when I’m wrapped up in my own little world, blogging from my chaise lounge and ignoring the laundry pile, it’s easy to forget that I have a career and brain that exist outside of the confines of my suburban utopia. You know what I mean?
Oh, one last thing. I need a new name for my blog. Any ideas?